Royal N.S.W. Lancers 1/15th Cap Badge
The 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers is a current Australian Army Reserve Light Cavalry (Reconnaissance) Regiment. The regiment is based at Lancer Barracks in Parramatta, a suburb in Western Sydney, New South Wales. Lancer Barracks is the oldest Military Barracks on mainland Australia and dates from 1819.
The regiment has recently been equipped with Bushmaster Protected Mobility Vehicles (PMV), having previously used 4x4 Land Rover patrol vehicles as part of the conversion to a Light Cavalry (Reconnaissance) role. The last of the previously equipped armoured vehicles, the M113A1 APC was handed over in 2006.
The regiment dates back to the formation of the Sydney Light Horse Volunteers in January 1885 and took its current name in 1956 when the 1st Royal New South Wales Lancers and the 15th Northern River Lancers amalgamated, initially being equipped with Matilda tanks. The 1st/15th RNSWL carries the former regiments' battle honours, and consequently has 31 collective battle honours, including those from the Boer War, First World War and Second World War.
The Regimental Band of the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers is one of the few Army regimental bands still in existence. The Band was formed in 1891 and has served with the regiment since, making it the oldest military band in Australia. The Lancer Band consists of Army Musicians who perform for Regimental functions, at public events, and for other Army Ceremonial tasks.