Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with palm Citation
Australian Defence Force members who served during the Vietnam war have been recognised with the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Citation (the Citation).
The Citation was awarded by the former Government of the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) to specific military units that distinguished themselves in battle. The Governor-General has formally approved the awarding of the Citation to identified Australian military units in recognition of their service during the Vietnam war.
To be eligible for the Citation, Navy and Air Force members must have served in Vietnam under the operational control of United States Military Assistance Command Vietnam posted to one of the following units, during the eligible dates:
- Clearance Diving Team Three from 5 February 1967 to 5 May 1971
- RAN Helicopter Flight Vietnam from 16 October 1967 to 8 June 1971
- RAN personnel in 9 Squadron from February 1968 to April 1969 (8 personnel)
- RAAF Transport Flight Vietnam/35 Squadron from August 1964 to February 1972
- 9 Squadron from June 1966 to December 1971
- 2 Squadron from 19 April 1967 to 15 July 1971.
The Governor-General has previously approved the following Army units to wear the insignia of the Citation for their service in Vietnam.
- Australian Army Training Team Vietnam from 1 July 1962 to 31 October 1971
- 1RAR - Eligible personnel must have served in Vietnam under command of 173rd Airborne Brigade during 5 May 1965 to 31 May 1966 in one of the following units, within the eligible dates:
- 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment from 25 May 1965 to 31 May 1966
- 1st Armoured Personnel Carrier Troop RAAC from 15 June 1965 to 31 March 1966
- 105th Field Battery, RAA from 14 September 1965 to 31 May 1966
- 3rd Field Troop, RAE from 14 September 1965 to 31 March 1966
- 161st Reconnaissance Flight, AAAVN from 14 September 1965 to 31 May 1966
- 1st Australian Logistic Support Company from 25 May 1965 to 31 March 1966
- Battery Section, 4th Field Regiment Light Aid Detachment RAEME (and redesignated in country to 105th Field Battery Section, 12th Field Regiment Light Aid Detachment RAEME) from 14 September 1965 to 31 March 1966
- 547 Signal Troop from 13 June 1966 to 23 December 1971
- Strength of D Company 6RAR in Vietnam on 18 August 1966
- 8RAR from 28 November 1969 to 24 October 1970
The Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Citation is a singular device.
Individuals are not eligible to wear the Citation device until they have been formally approved to do so through the application process.
Approval to wear the Citation does not give a person the authority to wear the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry. This is an individual decoration that was awarded to a number of Australians by the Government of the Republic of Vietnam in recognition of their individual acts of gallantry.